Sunday 19 August 2007

Birding Meme

Birding Meme

Started by Congresha - who 'tagged' me, so I thought it best I reply...

1. What is the coolest bird you have seen from your home?

The coolest bird from my home, eh? Easy! Mediterranean Gull. To be honest I’ve only lived in my current home for a few months and Med Gulls are one of my favourite birds. However the coolest bird from one of my old homes must be either Sparkling Violetear, or Black-tailed Trainbearer. But that was when I was living in Quito, Ecuador!

2. If you compose lists of bird species seen, what is your favorite list and why?

Easy. My Bedfordshire county list. Currently on 226, with the last addition being Yellow-browed Warbler in the centre of Bedford, last October.

3. What sparked your interest in birds?

A mate at school when I was seven years old. He got bought a fab book on butterflies one week, and a bird book the next – they were great! Then he got enrolled in the YOC (Young Ornitholigists Club, now Wildlife Explorers Club!) and I had to follow suit. Soon I was absolutely hooked. It also helped that I lived in Sandy, home of the RSPB.

4. If you could only bird in one place for the rest of your life where would it be and why?

A very hard question as I haven’t been everywhere yet. Somewhere with lots of birds. South America has to be it. And probably Ecuador because I have such fold memories of it.

5. Do you have a jinx bird? What is it and why is it jinxed?

Not really. There have been plenty of birds which have caused me problems to see! It look me three months to see a bloody Tanager Finch in Ecuador when I lived just down the road from it. That was bad enough.

6. Who is your favorite birder? and why?

Josep del Hoyo – great guy, and just oozes enthusiasm. I had the good fortune to guide him in Ecuador for a couple of weeks. I’m not sure I have laughed so much ever!

7. Do you tell non-birders you are a birder? What do they say to you when they find out?

I tend to keep it reasonably quiet as others tend to tell them for me! If they ask I keep it low-key. Most tend to lump everything birdwatcher like in to twitchers – that tends to get on my goat, but I generally spare them the rantings!

2 comments:

  1. Great! It's funny how over there people think of twitchers when they hear you are a bird watcher, over here they think of Jane Hathaway from the Beverly Hillbillies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twitchers? Guess I've never heard that term before. What does it refer to?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails